Recommendations to avoid holiday stress
More and more people that are stressed during your vacation. Coinciding with the arrival of August, the main holiday month, the Traveller Unit and the Department of Psychology Sanitas Hospital CIMA in Barcelona have developed a series of recommendations to overcome this type of seasonal stress.
"There are many cases of distress, anxiety and stress at holiday due primarily to changes representing this period compared to the routine and prevent voltage to discharge by the usual mechanisms" explains Dr. Anna M. Cuscó, Psychology Service Sanitas Hospital CIMA. Spend more time with family and social relations, organizing holidays, change the place of residence or unknown destinations found in the dependence of the work are some of the situations that trigger. On the other hand, "the crisis environment conducive to accumulate tensions and fears that involve a significant emotional and that can cause stress or discomfort episodes coinciding with holidays" adds Dr. Cuscó.
Seasonal stress usually manifests with mild or moderate symptoms such as irritability, restlessness or difficulty in family and social relationships. "It also has implications on the physical plane with digestive disorders, sleep problems, fatigue, dizziness and headaches, among the most common problems" explains Dr. Maria de Arquer, Head of Unit of the Hospital Sanitas Traveler's CIMA . In severe cases, holiday stress can potentially cause more complex tables as panic attacks. Increased incidence
Amid increasing cases of seasonal stress detected, the unit Traveler and Psychology Service Sanitas Hospital CIMA offer the following tips to enjoy and relax on vacation:
- Schedule. Preparations before a trip can be a cause for nervousness. It is advisable not to leave the organization for the last minute, especially if you are traveling abroad or with children. Prepare a list of things to do is a simple way to not forget anything, better control the situation and minimize possible contingencies.
- Job Disconnect: To disconnect labor obligations is important to set limits and respect for the work does not interfere with the rest time.
Avoid excessive use of new technologies: Decrease the use of technologies that create dependency as the tablet or the smartphone is important for a real break.
- Normalize the changes: Identify and be aware of changes that may pose the holidays is a preliminary step to address them normally and safety, avoiding feelings of fear or concern.
- Spending time on leisure activities: Playing sports, plan activities with friends or spend time on hobbies are some of the leisure activities to be promoted to enjoy and relax in summer. In this section it is also advisable to practice assertiveness in situations that involve commitments or uncomfortable situations.
- Encourage communication in relationships: On vacation you spend more time with friends or family, this may be cause for a greater number of emotional conflicts. In these cases, it is advisable to dialogue and communication to understand and resolve conflicts and improve relationships.
- Balanced diet: A healthy diet with licenses logics summer, helps reduce stress and anxiety levels.
- Sleep Hygiene: No need to wake up early or going to bed too early on vacation, but maintain a rate of eight hours of sleep a day promotes the emotional and facilitates the subsequent return from vacation.
- Relaxation: To combat stress, it is advisable to practice some simple relaxation techniques like breathing exercises or visualization.
- Back home: The return to routine can also cause discomfort or even cause known as "post holiday depression". Trying to turn occur gradually softens the negative effects of return.