The list of measures that parents adopt to protect their children from harm goes on to narrate.

Now, experts warn of the need to protect them from enemies too common environmental toxicants.

The Canadian Association for Health Children's Health and Environment (CPCHE, its acronym in English), an institution formed in 2001 by 11 organizations, is the author of the new recommendations will emerge in his magazine 'Today's Parent 'in July.

"If parents take simple actions in five specific areas can significantly reduce their offspring's exposure to toxics," insists the organization.
Away from dust

"The dust in homes is a major source of exposure of children to toxic substances like lead, even at very low levels, is known to be harmful to the developing brain," says Professor Bruce Lanphear of the University Simon Fraser.

We recommend daily vacuuming and wet mitt furniture. It is advisable to also "remove their shoes when entering the house to reduce the amount of dust from outside.

It is also recommended to prevent accumulation of dust in the houses maintaining order and avoiding the storage of toys, "it said.

-Green Products

It should use less toxic cleaning products without perfume. Experts recommend products such as "sodium bicarbonate, which is useful in cleaning utensils, or bathrooms, among others. The water with vinegar is useful for floors and windows," recognized experts from across the Atlantic.

Also advised to "wash their hands regularly with soap and hot water, but do not use antibacterial soaps and detergents to maintain course and other toxic products out of reach of children."

Reforms in the home-

If you've devoted your home reform, know that pregnant women and children should stay away from the work zone, thereby avoiding exposure to toxic substances such as paints, glues ...

Be careful also to seal the work area with plastic sheeting to 'separate' from the rest of the house and carefully clean the dust during and after any repair project at home.

"Choose less toxic paints and glues. It should open the windows after using these products," recommended the article.


Plastic containers can release chemical substances in small doses that are harmful to health. Among them we find the Bisphenol A, found in drums of water (dispenser), bottles, 'tupper' ...

The document warns parents that "do not use plastic containers in the microwave, even if the label says 'microwave safe' because its chemicals can migrate into food or drink.

Avoid also the teething toys, bibs, bath toys, shower curtains and other items that contain polyvinyl chloride (PVC).


To reduce children's exposure to mercury, a toxic metal for the brain, experts advise choosing varieties of fish low in this mineral as mackerel, herring, trout, wild salmon or canned, among others.

Indeed, the Spanish Agency for Food Safety and Nutrition has recently launched a new recommendation: "Pregnant women in fertile period or lactation and children under three years should avoid eating swordfish, shark and bluefin tuna. Children three to 12 years should limit their intake to 50 grams per week or 100 in two weeks "